Sunday 29 January 2017

Survey Results

I created my own independant survey containing questions about thriller to gather some results and ideas for our own thriller opening sequence. These were my results:

Question 1: What is your favourite sub-genre of thriller?

Horror: 14.29%
Action: 28.57%
Pyschological: 57.14%

The majority prefer pyschological thriller, which is probably the easiest to film for an amateur and my personal favourite so my thriller will be of the pyschological sub-genre of thriller.



Question 2: What do you think are the most effective features in a thriller?

Music: 42.86%
Editing: 14.29%
Camera Angles: 14.29%
Mise-En-Scene: 14.29%
Narrative: 14.29%

Titles recieved 0% however I am still going to research into thriller titles, but my main focus will be to find appropriate music to play behind my recorded voiceover.

Question 3: What do you think are the most appropriate colours for the titles in a thriller?

Red: 42.86%
Black: 14.29%
Grey: 42.86%

I think red titles are effective in thrillers because the colour red connotes danger, blood and violence, typical connotations of thriller. I also think black titles are effective because black is quite omnious and bold.

Question 4: What narrative would you most like to see in a thriller?

Murder: 28.57%
Stalking: 14.29%
Supernatural: 14.29%
Pyschological: 42.26%

Similarly to question 1, the majority enjoy pyschological thrillers, and because murder or supernatural narratives would be very difficult to film and produce, I am going to create a hybrid of a stalking narrative and pyschological.

Question 5: Do you think it is important for the title sequence of a thriller to be intense?

Yes: 85.71%
No: 14.29%

The majority said that the title sequence of a thriller to be intense, and while I have seen several thrillers that have quite normal, quiet and calm openings (including unfriended) I am going to make the opening to my thriller omnious and creepy rather than intese, to grip the viewer into wanting to see more.

My survey results can also be seen here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/analyze/6tLY3LBxjdNDcYnyc2FhvpZN6hNDeOwDYuGwxSvI7Wk_3D

No comments:

Post a Comment